Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Single Mom

I have been a "single mom" for almost a year now.  Nothing about this has been easy but I had my first real test on Saturday morning.  Actually, more like Saturday, middle of the night.

You see, LG was sick.  I cut a trip I was on short and flew home a day early to be with my girl.  There were many reasons for this and it was a very tough decision but I wouldn't change it.  I picked LG up at her dad's on Friday night, brought her home and put her to bed.  She didn't have a fever and she fell asleep quickly after waiting up for me.

At 3:00 a.m. she stumbled into my bedroom and climbed in bed with me.  I was ok with this since I knew she had been missing me a lot.  I reached over to feel her and she was burning up.  I found the thermometer and sure enough she had a 104.5 fever.  I wasn't overly concerned when I got up to get the Motrin, until I realized we were out of medicine.  No Motrin.  No Tylenol.  NOTHING.

I panicked.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I knew that we had to get some medicine in LG to bring her fever down so I bundled her up and off we went to Safeway at 3:30 a.m.  LG thought it was the coolest thing ever and was a total trooper.  Once we got home, I got some medicine in her and we got back in bed.  It took me nearly an hour to get her back to sleep but finally she drifted off. I lay there with tears in my eyes.  I know that I am strong.  I am pretty damn tough, but on nights like this I realize just how venerable I am.

LG and I slept in until 8 a.m. which was GREAT for us.  We spent the day snuggling on the couch together.  The first thing I did when it was late enough was call my mom and thank her for all she has done over the years as a single mom.  She also was without family and I am sure she had many nights like I am having.  Makes me appreciate her so much more!

3 comments:

  1. I am cheering you on as you trudge through the responsibilities of being a single mom. You brought tears to my eyes just now. I was wishing I could have helped you-been the neighbor you knocked at to borrow the meds-at 3am. I know, logically doesn't make sense. But you made my heart extra emotional. I also applaud you and your appreciation for your mom's efforts. My mom too was a single mom when we were really little and then again when we were teenagers. Both super tough times I am sure. Thank you for pointing out one more reason I can thank *my* mom for what she did for me and my brother. Thank you for being LG's mom. You rock!

    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi. not sure if im doing this right i've never blogged about anything...i am 26 and have 2 kids. (7, son and 2, daughter) Their father and I split in Feb and i have moved from TX back to Cali to live with my mother. their dad pays child support which is what we a living on. he has not been as in close contact as i thought he wld be. But the main issue is my own identity. i was a stay at home mom and now i feel so lost. any insight wld be great.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena